CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 23, 2010

23rd of October, 2010 - 4 Basic Elements Assignment + First Class of History & Theory of Architecture I

It's a Saturday today
and so we had our first class of
History & Theory of Architecture I
(ADA 123)

But first! Let me talk about
our assignment for our previous class,
which was Principle of Architecture & Design,
that we had to submit today.
In other words,
we were given only one day
for this assignment.

The assignment was about
combining all the 4 Basic Elements
and create a drawing.
I couldn't do the assignment when I got home
because I was exhausted and my mind
couldn't focus.
So I slept at around 8pm
and woke up at 2am.
It was enough sleep for me
since it's 6 hours and plus
I seriously had to work on
my assignment by then.

We were told to do it
on an A3 paper
and so this is what I had in mind

Here's a closer view:

For your information
I designed the interior myself.
Here's my sketch:
As you can see there are
decorations on the wall
and the floors are made from wood.
There's a stereo or music player
near the stairs.
But when I think again,
why the hell would I wanna put stairs
when it's just one step down???

This design is meant to be
something like Starbucks
mix with Secret Recipe.
It's supposed to be a comfy place
like Chili's or TGI Fridays

But I guess I'm not
professional enough
to actually design a room.
weeeeeeeeee (@_@)

So my (focal) point
is the kitchen door
and I only had
to stress on the 4 basic elements.
If I had more time
I would have done something
much better than this.

This photo is just to differentiate
the sketch and the actual work.

So we were given straight away
our artworks after Sir Raed marks
them because he didn't want to
bring them to KL with him XD
It's pretty understandable
if you ask me

I got a smiley face
for my artwork :D
Yay!

Thank you Sir Raed :3

------------------------------------------------

Okay so moving to our next topic
which is the History & Theory of Architecture
where we learned about buildings that was built
thousands of years ago.

Here are some information
based solely on my notes
that I've written in my notebook,
along with my memory
and understanding of this chapter.
(don't be surprised if I'm wrong)

:Chapter 1:
Ancient Mesopotamia

This is the Sumerian building
most of their finest buildings
are related to religion.
This was the time when people
people worships the sun and moon
and all sorts of natural elements.
So this building refers to
the concept "higher buildings
will lead you closer to God"
In other words
they want to feel closer to God.
They used huge and wide platforms
to make the building higher.

This is the Akkadian building
where they realized
there is a need to build
walls around the city.
If you can see the building
on the left, it looks much higher
than the previous Sumerian building.
I guess they seriously
want to feel closer to God eh?
hahahahaha XD

This is the Neo-Sumerian building
which anyone can clearly see that
they've did some upgrades
which is making the building higher
and higher and higher.
If you haven't seen the scale,
I tell you now...it's a gigantic building
Honest!

This here is the Assyrian building
which is the birth of the courtyard building.
Courtyards are suitable for hot environment
such as Malaysia, Egypt and the Middle East.
Courtyard somehow makes the whole cool
because the wind circulates into the courtyard
pushing the hot air upwards
and letting the cool air stays underneath.
Surprisingly there aren't any
courtyards in Malaysia XD

This is the Babylonian building.
This was the first time where colours
were applied to create a building.
The people during this era got the colours
from a type of a (very) weird fish.
This fish can only be found deep down underwater
and it contains dark blue ink
when it is cut into half.
The people during this era also
uses animal figures as the building's pattern.

This is a Hittities building or rather the entrance.
This is where Symmetry and Asymmetry
are born, which is 3410 years ago.
Although both of the lion sculpture
are asymmetry, but the arrangements
of the rocks are symmetry.
Why aren't the lions symmetry?
It's because people from 3410 years ago
don't have rulers and measuring tape
like we do now XD hahahaha
but it's true, to them it's
really hard to do a symmetrical sculpture
because they don't have the right equipments yet.

This is an example of a Neo-Babylonian building.
It is one of the 7 wonders of the world.
It is the 'Hanging Garden'.
This concept is where every floor
has a garden and covered with
wonderful floras.
As you can see the people there,
it means it's a really huge building.

This here is the Persian building
where columns are born.
However, during this era,
people don't know what to put
on top of the column.
So they would just leave it empty
and instead they write stories around the column.
So you would be going around and around
the column if you want to read the story.
hahahahahahha XD

I would want to visit it
if I get the chance.
In fact, I would want to
visit all the places
that I've just mentioned!
And take a lot of pictures
and post it into my blog!
And write something about it!
Someday, if I have the chance.

P.S.
It feels like I'm missing one era.
I'm really sorry if I'm giving
the wrong information.
Please do correct me
by sending me an email
or comment this post.
Thank you very much :3


That's All For Now!
Thank You For Reading!
*bows*

0 cups: